Saturday, February 16, 2013

Burnetts Creek NZ48 Model Railway

This is something I finished for last year’s local train show. It was a last minute rush to get the layout in a state where it could be exhibited. I didn't get all the trees done and there is lots of detailing and weathering to do but at least I got something together.

The modules were built from extruded foam and plywood plus MDF. Track is hand laid and the scenery was achieved with various static grass products and a 20 thousand volt zapper. I called it Burnetts Creek after James Burnett who proposed the idea of an incline at Denniston, on the west coast of NZ’s south island.

The location is Paradise, near Glenorchy at the top of Lake Wakatipu. There could have been a railway there but my layout is completely fictional.








I spent a long time measuring NZR wagons at the local preservation society railway. Together with original plans I drew up an etch for all the strapping and detail for two classes of wooden four-wheeled wagon and the body plus details of a steel wagon. These were very common types on New Zealand railways. I got them etched in Scotland and combined the parts with stripwood and the white metal underframes already developed by my friend.

The wagons in the photos are built by my friend from our parts. I had my Climax running which got a quick coat of flat black. It proved to be very enjoyable to run with the sound chip in it. Many here enjoy modelling in on30 but we have found many also want to model New Zealand Railways in 1:48. We are doing so by using the correct scale gauge of 22.4mm rather than HO track, which at 16.5mm represents two foot six rather than the proper NZR gauge of three foot six. We call it NZ48.

With my first wagon etches working successfully I am looking at expanding the range of rolling stock to include a guards van and other types of wagon. I also have two small locos in the pipeline with hopes for larger locos in the future. I still have the modules from my original Ferrusia Railway and hope to resurrect them next year as part of a main line NZ48 layout.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see some train work on the 40k blogs, I love model train shows and they are great places to scavenge for things.